Frequently Asked Questions
1. WHAT IS REQUIRED TO RENT A SCOOTER? DO I NEED ANY SPECIAL LICENCE?
You need to come with your passport or identity card, a credit card to pay a security deposit and your driving license. To rent a scooter with Cooltra you must be in possession of a valid driving license and valid under the laws of the related country.
2. IS ANY DEPOSIT NECESSARY?
Yes. You need to pay a deposit for scooter, GPS/WiFi devices if hired. You can only pay the deposit by credit card. However, it will not be charged to your card unless there is any event that would require it.
3. CAN THE SCOOTER BE USED BY TWO PEOPLE?
Yes. You can ride all our scooters with a passenger. If there are two of you, you will need an extra helmet, which has an additional cost.
4. CAN I DRIVE WITHOUT A HELMET?
No. It is absolutely prohibited to drive a scooter without a helmet on. Both, a driver and a passenger must have their helmets on, even if it is a 50cc scooter.
5. WHAT HAPPENS IF I HAVE AN ACCIDENT OR THE SCOOTER IS STOLEN?
You are fully covered by the insurance for damages against third parties. For damages caused to the scooter, or theft of the scooter, the insurance reduces the amount to be paid to an excess – in a case of compliance with the rental agreement. There is also the possibility to get an excess reduction for your scooter insurance.
6. WHAT IS COVERED BY THE INSURANCE?
The insurance which is already included in the rental price covers third party damages. Additionally, it is also included road assistance inside specific radius outside the shop. The damages on the scooter or theft are covered with the excess of 500/750/1500€ depending on scooter type. All the accessories (helmets, top case, GPS, gloves, lock etc.) are not covered with insurance and are paid apart in case of loss or damage.
7. DO I NEED TO FILL THE TANK WITH PETROL?
Yes, you must refill the tank to the same level as you have rented it or we will charge you for the missing gasoline when you bring the scooter back.
8. CAN I TRAVEL OUTSIDE THE CITY?
Yes. But you should consider the limits: the renter is not allowed to drive outside the city or on a highway with a 50cc scooter. With 125cc+ scooter the renter is allowed to drive within a limited area outside the city. Each shop has a specific area of coverage for scooter insurance and road assistance service – you are not allowed to drive a scooter out of this radius.
9. IS IT POSSIBLE TO PURCHASE A FULL COMPREHENSIVE / EXTRA INSURANCE?
Yes. You can purchase the extra insurance which reduces the excess of the scooter in a case of damages and in a case of theft or robbery.
|Scooter type||Basic Insurance excess||Extra Insurance excess|
|Standard 50/125cc||500€||150€ damages and robbery|
|Plus 125cc||750€||300€ damages and robbery|
|Premium 400cc||1500€||Not Applicable|
We do not sell full coverage insurance for the damages.
10. DO YOU HAVE DELIVERY SERVICE?
Yes, we do. In your online reservation just select as “extra” different kinds of hotel and airport deliveries and pick ups.
11. WHAT IF I CANCEL MY RESERVATION?
Our cancellation policy is the following:
- If the renter cancels his reservation more than 24 hours days prior to the date, a refund of the amount paid will be made (100%)
- The cancelation in less than 24 hours in advance will not be admitted.
- If the renter cancels without previous notification, no money will be refunded
12. WHAT HAPPENS IF I COME LATER THAN MY RENTAL CONTRACT EXPIRES?
The renter has to inform the rental shop about any contract extensions in advance. Due to the contract conditions, Cooltra will charge 50€ fee and cost of extra time in case of late return without being informed. Moreover, it is illegal to drive with an expired rental contract. In case the renter would like to extend the contract it is necessary to inform the shop and to have an updated contract, which can be picked up from the shop or sent by email.
13. DO I GET MY MONEY BACK IF I COME BACK EARLIER?
Unfortunately, no. Once you have started your rental the amount paid cannot be returned. We do not make money refunds if the renter returns the scooter (or/and extras) before the date and time mentioned in the contract.
14. WHICH DRIVING LICENSE DO I NEED FOR DRIVING YOUR SCOOTERS?
The minimal requirements for our delegation shops in Spain, Italy, France and Portugal are identified in a table below. The categories mentioned matches with official European driving license categories.
|50cc scooter||125cc scooter||3-wheel scooter||400cc scooter||QUAD|
|Spain||Min. 18 years, B/AM driving license, B (more than 1 year of experience)||Min. 18 years, A1/A or Min 21 years and 3 years of experience with B||Min. 18 years, A1/A or 3+ years of experience with B||Min. 18 years and A or A2 category driving license||Min. 21 years old, B driving license with 3+ years of experience|
|Italy||Min. 18 years, B/AM driving license||Min. 18 years, A1 (max 11KW), A2 (max 35KW), A or B (max 11KW) driving license||Min. 18 years, A1/A or 3+ years of experience with B||Min. 21 years and A or A2 category driving license||–|
|France||Min. 18 years, B/AM driving license||Min 20 years, A1/A or B+L5E||Min 20 years, A1/A or B+L5E||Min. 20 years and A or A2 category||–|
|Portugal||Min. 18 years, B/AM driving license||A1/A driving license or 25+ years old + B||A1/A driving license or 25+ years old + B||A or A2 category driving license||–|
|Brazil||Driving license of A category||Driving license of A category||Driving license of A category||Driving license of A category||–|
*Note: If your driver license is not from a country of the European Economic Union or from a country without convenience agreement with Spain, you need to have an international driving permit (IDP). Likewise, the valid documents are regulated by the law of the country where you are driving, not the country of the document origin.
15. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COOLTRA SHOP, DELIVERY POINT AND PARTNER SHOP?
To provide our services in as many locations as possible we have 3 types of rental points:
- Cooltra shop: our owned branded shop which you can easy recognize by Cooltra logo, friendly team in blue t-shirts and where we provide the widest variety of scooter models, extras and services for your comfort.
- Delivery point: a specific meeting point, where we do not have a shop but where Cooltra employee deliver and pick up your scooter at exact date and time indicated in your reservation.
- Partner shop: a shop of another brand where we make sure to provide you same best scooters and best services possible in other destinations where we did not open Cooltra shop yet.